This is the big daddy of the Shimano Baitrunner ST family. The Baitrunner ST10000RB is a brilliant reel for someone who is either just starting out carp fishing or is a seasoned specimen angler who is working to a budget. It carries all the same features as the smaller reels in the family, but this one has the biggest spool of all and can hold an incredible amount of line. In fact, in the right hands, casts of well over 120yds are easily achievable.
The ST10000RB is physically the same size as the 6000 size with a deeper spool and carries over the double handle and the rear drag knob features of the smaller 6000 variant, meaning you don’t have to mess about at the business end of the reel while a big fish is taking line.
Moving the drag knob means that Shimano have been able to make the spools with a push button release, making changing spools quicker and easier than ever before. This reel is crammed full of features that you would not expect to see on a reel in this price range - features that only usually appear on higher end reels. Some of these features include:
- Varispeed line lay – this means that a consistent spool speed is achieved by altering the speed of the oscillation cam. This results in a beautiful even line lay delivering excellent casting and overall manageability.
- Super Stopper II – Super Stopper II is an anti-reverse system that uses a one-way roller bearing that eliminates back-play. This provides you with instant hook setting power, meaning less lost fish.
- AR-C Spool – this is a new spool lip design which, after rigorous testing and countless hours of simulations, has been found to provide longer casting distances than a standard spool lip design, while helping to prevent wind knots forming. It also allows the line to flow off the spool in smaller loops during the cast, which means less slap on the stripper guide. This means longer casts with less friction.
- Dyna-Balance – This feature virtually eliminates wobble during the retrieve by counterbalancing the rotor to enhance sensitivity and smoothness. This is done by adopting a similar approach to balancing a car tyre. Shimano were able to redistribute the rotor weight to create smooth rotation and eliminate vibrations.
- Baitrunner – Shimano’s world famous Baitrunner system allows the angler to feed line out, meaning the fish can take the bait and run, while still maintaining line control by having the bail closed. To engage the primary drag and set the hooks, simply turn the handle or flip the Baitrunner lever to the 'Baitrunner Off' position and let battle commence!
The Baitrunner ST10000RB features Shimano’s own XT-7 body and rotor construction, meaning that this reel is very strong and relatively lightweight considering its size, features and spool capacity - weighing in at 555g
The rear drag system is placed alongside the Baitrunner tension adjuster, just behind the lever to engage/disengage the Baitrunner. It has a high line capacity and can hold approximately:
- 500yds of 0.30mm diameter
- 350yds of 0.35mm diameter
- 250yds of 0.40mm diameter
This daddy of the Baitrunner ST range is a brilliant specimen reel, capable of casting huge distances and taming the largest carp or pike.